Tuesday 1 June 2010

Old Skibbereen

[Am] Oh [G] father dear I [Am] oft-times hear you [G] talk of [F] Erin´s [Am] Isle
Her lofty [C] scene and [Am] valley [G] green, her [Am] mountains [C] rude and [Am] wild
They say it [C] is a [Am] pretty [G] place where-[Am] in a [C] prince might [Am] d´well
Then [G] why did you [Am] abondon it? The [G] reason [F] to me [Am] tell.
 
My son I loved our native land with energy and pride
Until a blight came on the land and sheep and cattle died,
The rent and taxes were to pay, I could not them redeem,
And that´s the cruel reason why I left old Skibbereen
 
It´s well I do remember that bleak December day,
The landlord and the sheriff came to drive us all away;
They set the roof on fire with their demon yellow spleen,
And that´s another reason why I left old Skibbereen.
 
It´s well I do remember the year of forty-eight
When I arose with Erin´s boys to fight against the fate,
I was hunted through the mountains for a traitor to the Queen
And that´s another reason why I left old Skibbereen.
 
Oh father dear, the day will come when vengeance loud will call,
And we will rise with Erin´s boys and rally one and all,
I´ll be the man to lead the van beneath our flag of green,
And loud and high we´ll raise the cry:´Revenge for Skibereen´.
 

No comments: